Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SXSW with and without kids

The past two weeks, Austin has seemed more like Hollywood, taken over by celebrities, interactive leaders, musicians and fans. It's been great people watching and we tried to catch a few of the free shows, with and without kids. First was a concert on the Whole Foods plaza featuring local bands that were really good. The playscape was right there, so it was perfect to listen while keeping the kids happy. Dean played for a while, then kept staring at the stage. He wanted a closer look so we sat and listened for a while. That kid loves music. (Oh, and don't ask why Morgan colored their faces with marker)...

Then Monday was a party at The Parish featuring Alt-J and hosted by RocketFuel. I had run into my ex-client/friend Diane a couple months ago when she was in town on RocketFuel's behalf, scoping out a venue for the party. She promised to get me and some friends in and she delivered! Unfortunately, Ed was on business travel, but myself, Siiri, Steven and some of his friends were able to jump the line. It was open bar and the venue was awesome, big enough for maybe a couple hundred, so anywhere was a good view of the stage. We had a good time meeting people, dancing, listening to music and staying out late. Diane didn't get to hang out too much since she was running the party, but luckily we were able to meet for happy hour before she left town. Thanks Diane!!!

Alt-J
Diane & me
Oh, and after the party, Siiri and I were starving and got brats to eat on the long walk home. So I'm in the middle of taking a huge bite with onions hanging out of my mouth as we walk by this bar and Owen Wilson steps out and makes eye contact with me. I have to swallow my food before I tell Siiri who I saw. Apparently, he was by himself and turned around. He passed us and I pointed him out to Siiri. Without missing a beat, she runs up to him and asks him "Hey Owen, would you like to try a bite of my tasty sausage?" He politely declined but we told him we were locals and gave him directions to his hotel. We were going to same way, so ended up walking 4 blocks with him. He asked us what we did in this fine town and I told him I was a stay at home mom. He asked how old the kids were and what sex. I told him and he mentioned he had a 27 month old boy. We discussed their personalities and how much they talk, etc. Siiri kept offering her sausage, but he told her he was kinda almost vegan. He was really nice, however declined a photo when it was time to part ways. So funny though!

Saturday, we were sans kids, and with Ed back in town, attended a daytime concert at Club de Ville featuring one of our favorites, The Neighbourhood. In SXSW fashion, we heard other bands that we really liked that had no clue about before The Neighbourhood took stage, like M0 and Ghost Beach. Siiri and Jill met up with us, and we got 3rd row for the show. As when Neighbourhood came to Stubbs, Ed got a photo op with the lead singer, Jesse. I think he has a crush.

Ghost Beach
M0
The Neighbourhood

Afterwards, we caught up with Steven and his friend Jonathan for a drink but couldn't stay long as the babysitter was expiring. We ended up walking all he way home and were exhausted after the long day. We put the kids to bed by 9:00 and we were in bed by 9:30! By now, all the SXSW visitors have evacuated and Austin is back to normal. Don't forget we've got a guest room for next year...


No comments:

Post a Comment