Thursday, October 10, 2013

ACL Weekend


It's that time of year again. The first weekend of the 3-day ACL Festival was in town this past weekend and I hadn't planned on going until they announced Depeche Mode was headlining. If you've known me at any point in the past 20+ years, you know that DM is my all-time favorite band. Ed got me a ticket for my birthday and I figured this was my best chance to get as close to the stage as possible to see them perform.

I ended up going Friday afternoon and met up with some friends to catch the band fun. and Vampire Weekend. During the Vampire weekend set, I started pushing forward and after their last song when people exited, I got a 3-person deep spot from the front railing. One hour later, Depeche Mode graced the stage and I sang along to every song. It was awesome! David Gahan and Martin Gore put on a great show - thank you for my birthday present Ed. I was just missing you!!!!

Siiri and I at fun.
Depeche Mode !!!!!

Saturday, we scored a discounted bracelet for Ed so we got a sitter and biked to Zilker Park to catch The Weeks and Kings of Leon. It turned out to be an unexpectedly chilly night so we bought some sweatshirts at the ACL Merchandise tent between shows. It was great to have a date night under the stars.
Kings of Leon

Sunday was the kid's turn to go. We went early, catching Kodaline first (the kids were excited when they recognized some songs from the radio). Then we spent a good bit of time at the Kiddie Limits area where they played in a drum circle, got mohawks, enjoyed the sand pit and completed some art projects. We were even able to meet up with Steven for a while who was there with friends. We laid claim to a spot with our blanket and stayed to hear Grouplove perform. After a good 4.5 hours, the kids had had fun but were pooped, evidenced by them both falling asleep before we made it back to the car. They were pretty cranky for the rest of the day until it was time for the final art project of the day: painting the bathwater orange with their hair.

painting with car tire tread
painting ceramic guitar & music note magnets
don't worry folks, Dean's beer was sealed : )
 
cool dude
repeat visit to the car painting
10 minutes later
the orange mohawk aftermath
This is the first year they are doing the festival 2 back-to-back weekends, so assuming the bands are staying in town, we'll be on the lookout for rock stars this week. Especially David Gahan and Martin Gore : )

No comments:

Post a Comment